Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yesterday's Walk in the Garden



I went outside Friday morning to fill the bird feeders and take a walk around the yard. Of course I had my camera with me! A couple of the Japanese anemone buds had opened! This is my first year to have this flower in the garden.

The hummingbirds are still here. I'm seeing quite a bit of activity at the feeders. They must be fattening up in preparation for their flight south.

I saw the neighbor's cat prowling around in the yard heading toward the bird feeders. I stepped into the garden to get closer to the sunflowers and just as I was taking a step I noticed the preying mantis peeking up over the lamb's ear.




While the butterflies have been scarce, I've had bees in abundance this year. For that I'm grateful!



I love to see the pollen covered bees!

We had a lot of rain yesterday, so the ground should be nice and soft, (hopefully not too wet). I hope to be able to do some much needed edging and weeding in the garden today. I did quite a bit last weekend but I have so much more to do.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

12 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Oh, those cats! My neighbors'cat likes to lie on my flower beds (because the neighbors don't have any!) and step exactly on the spots where I put seeds. I love them, cats, anyway. Nice to see your bright blooms Robin. I think I am not ready for fall yet.

NCmountainwoman said...

I always cringe when I see cats creeping toward the bird feeders. Lovely photographs!

Anonymous said...

Very nice photos. I don't like the cat because of the damage they do in Nature. But the rest are nice.

Thank you very much for visiting My Birds Blog and for the comment you left me there about my Coopers Hawk photograph. My Birds Blog

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Love the sunflowers and Cosmos.I sure hope that kitty found food somewhere else.
Blessings,Ruth

Connie said...

Lovely photo collages! The anemone is so graceful and pretty. Glad you could get out and work in your garden. Mine is beyond help this year, but I have visions for next year, ha.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These are all great photos but I love the mantis peeking at us. Great capture. Yep, I'm enjoying the weekend. It is cooler than normal. Great for getting outside.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I like the praying mantis too! Had to go back and look again. Your colors are so bright and pretty. I just had a hummingbird come to the back door! They are great.

Sherri said...

Love the pictures Robin! The hummingbird one was amazing.

Carol said...

Nice capture of the Praying Mantis.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Gail said...

Robin, it has been an odd summer! I was visiting the Black Eyed Susans and noticing that there are no buds on the salvia! Your bee photos are wonderful~I am so glad they are making a comeback! Love the preying mantis...great shot! gail

Frances said...

Hi Robin, thanks for taking us on your walk. The photos are as always stupendous. The mantid is really playing hide and seek with you! Our cat lays on the bench under the hummingbird feeder and sleeps while the hummers visit. Neither seems to pay any attention to the other, thank goodness. Fewer butterflies here too.
Frances

Muhammad khabbab said...

I really like this single petal cosmos. This year i will try to get seeds of shell petal cosmos. we grow this single petal in abundance during spring. Great to see flowers like anemone which are not much common in our plains.
Although the number is reducing with the passage of time, butterflies are still in great number specially in our subtropical climate. good to hear at least bees are keeping the pace.