Sunday, September 5, 2010

Master Bedroom Makeover

My bookshelf project was featured in the top ten picks for the Make it 4 Monday, at Cottage Instincts! That just made my day!









Right now I am focusing on creating beauty inside the house because the garden is a dried up mess from the heat and lack of rain during the month of August. I cried yesterday when I walked around looking at my flower gardens. I don't know how much of it will survive, but I think I lost my Kousa dogwood. I am heartbroken over it.

Life has been so sad lately that I just can't bear the thought of my crispy garden. So, I am trying not to dwell on the things that are beyond my control. Usually the garden and nature bring me joy and comfort, but not as much lately. It has been so hot and humid that my asthma has been a problem. I honestly haven't ventured outside very much.

Instead, my focus has been on creating a serene and peaceful master bedroom, which sadly had been sorely neglected. The budget is tight so I have had to be very creative with my resources.





I bought this little candle at Goodwill. I liked the shape of the container and knew I could paint it to display on my bookshelf.



I removed all of the stickers, scraped off the flower with a razor and cleaned it up.



Here it is on the bookshelf after I painted it turquoise and "antiqued" it with brown shoe polish. I found a necklace at a garage sale for a quarter. I removed the chain and used the pendant in the indented space on the container to dress it up and give it a little bling!



For the last nine years the master bedroom had builders beige paint and plain unsightly blinds on the windows, with no window treatments. Earlier this year, I found this roll of sheer fabric at a garage sale. The couple had recently closed a drapery shop. I got about 20 yards of sheer drapery fabric for $8.00. I dusted off the sewing machine and made sheers for the three bedroom windows.


It is so romantic and serene in the bedroom now. I love the change!


I am not very good at taking "before" pictures. I get ready to start a project and dive right in, so this is the only before picture I have. It was taken only because the dog is not allowed on the bed! I got quite the shock that morning when I went to the bedroom and saw both the cat and dog all cozy on the bed.

I had the floral comforter for about 16 or 17 years. I loved the colors in it and never could find anything that I liked better, so I kept using it. It was definitely time for a change!

Two weeks before my mom went into the hospital, she and my dad surprised me with a visit. Yep, 10:00 at night, they showed up on my doorstep, totally unexpected! They had driven from my nieces house in Oklahoma.

My mother loved garage sales, and that was one of our favorite things to do together! While she was here we went to several garage sales. I found this pretty comforter set, in pristine condition, at a home decorators sale. It had been in her guest room and the bed had not been slept in. I got it for $50.00! It came with the comforter, dust ruffle, two pillow shams, and a decorator pillow. I knew it would be perfect for what I had in mind for the master bedroom makeover.

It now has very special sentimental value because it reminds me of the last time that I spent with my mom. Who would have ever dreamed that just two weeks later she would be in the hospital, and after seven weeks of fighting to recover from surgery, that she would pass away. It is still unbelievable to me. I am so thankful for that sweet gift of a surprise visit.

The bedroom is still a work in progress. I am almost finished painting a small dresser that is my bedside table. I still have pillows to make and several other projects to do. I had hoped to accomplish a few of the projects over the long holiday weekend, but instead I have been under the weather with kidney stones. Hopefully this soon shall pass! Sorry for the pun!

I am linking this post to:









The DIY Show Off

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/category/yardsales-and-thrifting/

http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2010/09/before-and-after-party-choo-choo.html

22 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Robin it is looking so pretty in your serene master bedroom. What you created with the turqouise candle is just darling. Love the new vivid color and pendant.

I'm sorry about your garden. It was a very dry August here as well. I do understand.

Have a blessed labor day.
~Melissa :)

Dandelion and Daisy said...

So sorry about your mother, that is such a difficult time. It should start to cool down soon, here on the west coast it has never warmed up. Your bedroom is delightful and in my favorite colors. Thanks for visiting me today, it was such a pleasure to meet you.

Gillian Layne said...

I am so glad you have a sweet memory of your mother with your beautiful room. Blessings to you. :)

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Bless your heart. I'm sorry about your mother. Losing a parent is hard and it is even harder when it happens so quickly.

I love what you did with your room.It's easy to see you have an eye for detail.The pendant was a perfect finishing touch.

The heat aggravated my asthma too this year. That has never been a problem before.
Have a good week, Annette

Patricia said...

Robin, your decorating is just as beautiful as your gardening and photography. Your bedroom is so, so lovely.

My heart breaks for you and the losses you've endured this year. May the Lord carry you through this winter season of your heart and bring a spring renewal to your soul, even as winter in your garden approaches. May the Lord bring beauty for ashes in your heart, your home, and your garden. He is more than able. I love you, Patricia

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I need you to come for a visit,and help me decorate my house.You are a very talented lady.
I pray that you will soon feel well again.
Hugs,Ruth

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Robin, what a great find in the drape material & your comforter set. Fantastic & it all looks so cozy. I had to laugh at the dog & cat on the bed. They sure do love to sneak on there when they aren't supposed to, huh?

So sorry for the loss of your mom.

ruthinian said...

i see you also got a great deal with that container and did a good job repainting it. it looks totally new and different... love it.

Decor To Adore said...

How clever of you to use old jewelry to dress up a jar~!

A Garden of Threads said...

Robin, the makeover of the bedroom is beautiful. So serene and peaceful looking. Your garden will return in spring just as lovely as you remember, think positive thoughts. You needed to address your home and the garden new this. Take care and have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your master bedroom makeover Robin, and it looks very serene. I have a lot of bright color in my home, but not the master suite. It's all blue and white beach themed, and calm and relaxing. Love it!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Isn't it amazing how this aqua blue is so haunting and perfect in a home? I am drawn to it as you are too.

Love this posting,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Darla said...

It's funny, I too have moved my attention to the inside of the house...Your bedroom is looking very nice Robin...peace that surpasses underdtanding will enter your heart..hope you are feeling better..

Laura Bloomsbury said...

Dear Robin - I love looking at your interior design ideas and am awed by how creative you are. The progress of the master bedroom makeover has been lovely to see and is particularly touching in that it includes the memento of a last shopping trip with your Mum. The finality of that is still so raw.

all good wishes to you
Laura

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

you have quite the creative talent for dressing up your home with little expense. The drapes were lovely and the bedroom well put together.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Beautiful job - I love the turquoise in the back of your shelves!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Beautiful job - I love the turquoise in the back of your shelves!

Unknown said...

Your room is looking very pretty. How nice that you have the memory of the garage sale time with your mother. I'm sorry for your loss. My mom passed away on Dec 31, and the memories we have are precious.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

We too have had severe drought and I think I may have lost a Japanese Maple that we had for many years. I can't pour tons of water on everything every day, but I am trying to slow drip bushes and trees.

The curtains you made for your bedroom are so beautiful! The gorgeous comforter does have sweet memories associated with it and your dear mom's surprise visit.

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

cushy said...

love what you did to that container. totally different!

Garden Lily said...

You're right, the sheers add an element of romance and magic. Nicely done. I like your shelf too - so much to look at.