Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The State of the Garden Address

I cleaned up some in the yard Monday! It was still cold but at least the sun was shining! I was saddened by the condition of my flower beds and my yard. I lost so many plants last summer during our severe drought. My flower beds are for the most part a blank slate again.  I still can't tell if my Kousa dogwood survived. It doesn't look good. We used to have such a nice lawn, it is mostly weeds again. It is all rather discouraging. I have plants growing inside, I'm hoping to fill some of the gaps as cheaply as possible.

On a more positive note, I am finally getting a few spring blooms! The irises are always my early bloomers. I also have a few daffodils blooming and the white crocus will probably open today. I think spring is really here to stay this time!

I was given a beautiful bouquet of tulips on Saturday. I had a little photography session with them yesterday!

It won't be long before my own tulips are blooming! I hope they come back this year!

I think I can finally say, Welcome spring!

4 comments:

RobinL said...

I hope you're right Robin, and that spring really is here to stay. But the frozen solid birdbath this morning was a real disappointment. Supposed to warm up to real spring weather this weekend, so I have my fingers crossed!

Christys Cottage Wildlife Garden said...

Hi Robin....I think spring has finally come to our area. It was forecast to be 30 last night but I woke to 34 degrees....hurray! The next 10 days are forecast to gradually get warmer. I know it's hard not to get discouraged, we gardeners are so close to our plants. But now you can plant some new things and make it look beautiful again!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Those little Siberian Irises are so pretty... We have a few of them but they haven't bloomed yet...

Love your teapot/cup... And your tulips are so springy...

Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

"Those little Siberian Irises are so pretty."

Indeed pretty is the best word to describe it.