Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Caught in the Act...Nature Update

Every morning one of the first things I do while I'm stumbling through the house, making my way to the coffee maker, is open the blinds. This morning, as I raised the blinds on the landing, I noticed a lot of activity at the bird feeders. Not only were there birds, but I actually caught two rabbits munching on my burning bush. This is the first time I've actually caught them in my yard.

Momentarily I forget the coffee and grab the camera instead. Not wanting to startle them, I started quietly and slowly taking pictures from inside the house.

Then I slowly crept outside and of course they immediately started hopping away.

This one hunkered down for a few seconds for a photo-op and then quickly scampered into the neighbor's thick hedge of shrubs.


This is the same burning bush they nearly destroyed during the winter, chewing it within inches of the ground. I was shocked that it actually grew some branches this spring and looked like it might survive. Now they are attacking it again. I let Lilly outside after the rabbits were out of the yard. I was sitting on the swing and she was beside me. I notice she was sniffing and had become very alert and focused on something, I turned around and spotted the rabbit again. About that time Lily took off after the rabbit and chased it away. Hopefully, that scared it and maybe, just maybe it will stay away.

I put some peanuts out and it wasn't too long before the blue jays came. This one wasn't too sure about me being outside and was hesitant at first.

It was making an awful racket too.

After several minutes of screeching and squawking, it started gathering the peanuts. They don't take time to eat them, they hoard them, going back and forth gathering and hiding, until all of the peanuts are gone.

There were quite a few birds here this morning, the robins, doves, chickadees, grackles, cardinals, and sparrows. I also saw a great blue heron flying over head, and a hawk giving chase.

"George" is still taking up residence in the five winter sowing containers that remain to be planted. Today he is in the foxglove.

The pill bugs are still eating my plants and I've yet to discover anything that works. I've tried the grapefruit, and they do like it, but the minute you remove it they scamper like crazy and are very difficult to smash. I was hoping they would be all neatly clustered inside the grapefruit and I could remove the grapefruit and all the bugs would be inside. That isn't the case, they cover the ground underneath the grapefruit. Same with the newspaper. They love the wet newspaper and will collect underneath it, not on it, and when you lift it they scamper. Smashing bugs is not exactly my favorite gardening task. YUCKY!

It was about 70 degrees this morning, perfect weather for sitting outside and observing the creatures who are making Robin's Nesting Place their home. Unfortunately, not all of them are welcome guest.

22 comments:

Jane O' said...

I love your nature photos. There's more to a garden than just flowers. It was viewing your wildlife today.

Marie said...

Beautiful photos!

Several nice posts since my last visit :)

S said...

Hello,

I've heard that if you crumple up the wet newspaper, they will crawl in the crevices and you can throw away the wad of paper. I wonder if that would work for you better!

Anonymous said...

What a nice rabbit shot you got with that last picture! They're like deer, aren't they? Very cute, but we don't want them visiting our gardens.

Patricia said...

Hi Robin! It seems that this time of the year, the critters on Pollywog Creek are just like the critters at Robin's Nesting Place - rabbits, bluejays, dove.....

Those bluejays are loud, aren't they? But I think they are quite beautiful. I put peanuts out for them, but the fox squirrels steal them and hide them in the ground for themselves.

Yes, I am still using the Sony Cybershot. I'll be anxious to hear how well you like the H50. I take so many photos that I am surprised that my camera has held up as long as it has, and I am amazed at some of the macros I've been able to capture with it.

Anonymous said...

I just thought of this regarding the bugs and the grapefruit... what if you slid something like posterboard or cardboard underneath the grapefruit and then carted it off and got rid of them? (kinda like trapping a bug in a glass) I don't know if that would work but it might be worth a shot. :-)

~Cyndi

Kerri Farley said...

Fabulous Nature Photos!

Anonymous said...

Those bird shots are wonderful but wihtout a doubt the bunny pictures are my faves!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Hi, Jane Marie. I love flowers, but really I do a lot of gardening just to attract the birds and butterflies.

Thanks, Marie. I'm so glad you stopped by.

sjp8987, thanks for stopping by Robin's Nesting Place. I'll try the crumpled paper tonight. I've tried it rolled and they didn't know they were supposed to crawl inside to make it tidier for me. Maybe they'll know what to do with the crumpled paper. LOL

Hi, Pam! I've been seeing them when I walk through the neighborhood and I always think they are so cute, but that is when they are in someone else's yard.

Hi, Patricia. I love your photos and am so excited about getting the new camera.

Nancy, George is a big toad! You can't tell just how large he really is in the pictures. I'll try stomping before removing the papers. Those little buggers know to how to stop, drop and roll and they are so hard to kill.

Hi, Cyndi, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to eat another grapefruit and see if that will work. I'm so glad you guys made it home safely. We had a wonderful time with you all.

Thanks, Kerri.

Hi, Mon@rch. Rabbits are so fast and very difficult for me to photograph. I was so glad this little one stopped for a few seconds.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What wonderful pictures Robin. I love seeing George. I haven't seen the toads in my garden for some time. I feel that they are here but lying low. Those rabbits are cute but they are so destructive. Luckily burning bushes are nearly impossible to kill. I feel sure yours will survive.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

What a beautiful morning with all the visitors. Sorry about the bunnys, but they sure are cute.

Kerri said...

You managed to get some good pics before they scampered off. I hope Lilly got rid of those waskely wabbits for you.
George looks big enough to squash the seedlings. Does he hurt them at all? I'm assuming not since you let him stay there.
That's a great shot of the blue jay squawking at you :)

Rose said...

Great photos of the rabbits. They are so cute...when they're not in the garden. We have had one visiting lately. I try to point him out to Coconut who chases after him, but a little fluffy Pomeranian is not very intimidating to him, apparently.

Sherri said...

Love the pics! I think you should be a professional nature photographer!! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

We have the same morning routine Robin although I don't always see as many interesting visitors as you do. It's a great way to start the day, isn't it?

Mary said...

Great morning, Robin! I understand your desire to call the dogs on the rabbits. Last spring I bought a large, pretty basket of petunias and sat it near the pond one evening. I was floored the next morning when I saw destroyed - like some took electric hedge shears and buzzed it. :o)

Love those Blue Jay shots! The squawking one is funny!

Jessica said...

LOL! I love this post:) Particularly, the Blue Jay--they are such kooky birds! Our resident Jay acts like he owns the neighborhood!

verobirdie said...

Beautiful post indeed. I've enjoyed every picture of it!

Unknown said...

Love the photos of the blue jays, Robin. The rabbits, not so much--cute little fellows, but destructive, of course. Can't offer any suggestions on the bird but I'm sure you've solved the mystery by now.

Karen said...

I just love your photos, the bluejay squawking is great!

Aki said...

Your picture is very very beautiful. Your frog is very cute.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for rock features on the internet and came across your blog. Stunning pictures! I used to have rabbits that I would try to get photos of, but the neighbors mowed their grass next door, so they don't have any chow. I keep watching for them every morning to no avail. Your blog is an inspiration! I wish we had some cooler weather here in Texas so I can grow more than cactus and drought resistant plants!