Friday, October 2, 2009

The Turtle

Sunday after church, I was in the kitchen preparing lunch when I glanced out the window and saw three children bent over looking at something beside the road. A car pulled over and a man got out, picked something up and moved whatever it was away from the street. Naturally my curiosity was piqued. When they left I walked over to the neighborhood park area where they had been and saw a large turtle.

I walked back home and we proceeded to eat lunch. Apparently the turtle must have followed me home because it traveled a pretty good distance and came right up to the patio door that I had entered.

It crawled around on the patio by the door the whole time we were eating. After we finished, I grabbed the camera and took a few pictures.


I was trying to figure out what to do with it when I noticed that there was a small galvanized bucket on the patio. I turned it over and the turtle went directly to it and crawled right in.

I couldn't believe how easy that was! I picked up the bucket and walked down the street to one of the neighborhood ponds. After I released the turtle, it made its way to the water and seemed very glad to be at the pond.

I just want to briefly thank everyone who voted for Robin's Nesting Place in the Blotanical awards, I'm very honored. I wasn't planning on participating this year and didn't enter my blog for any of the categories, (I did place my votes for others though), so I was quite surprised to win an award. I appreciate so much those of you who read my blog and faithfully comment. You are the best!

20 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I wonder if that turtle was someones pet that was released around that pond and it was confused as to what to do or where to go?? It looks so clean. Most turtles in the wild don't look so clean. Great photos. Congrats on your award.

Shirley said...

Hi again Robin, as Lisa says above my first thoughts were of a pet too as turtles aren’t seen in the wild here in Scotland.

However, the idea of them roaming free like our hedgehogs is just brilliant. I do hope it was a wild one… what a beauty it was. Brilliant photos, I love your fall banner too :-D

Congrats on your Award, delighted to see you got one after all! Wishing you a great weekend :-D

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I am happy that this turtle found you.Someone else might not have treated it this kindly.Your header picture is gorgeous and most certainly a good way to have a Happy Fall.Hope your day is the BEST.
Blessings,Ruth

Dave@The Home Garden said...

It sounds like you found him a good home. Like others I hope he wasn't a pet that got dumped. Congrats!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

How nice to have a pond nearby for him to have a place to live. Turtles are always to interesting to us, wonder why?
Kind of interesting that he followed you home. He knew a kind heart.

Balisha said...

Very smart turtle!

NCmountainwoman said...

Congratulations on the much-deserved award!

Jan said...

This is a sweet story, Robin. Your photos of him do seem to show that he's cleaner and shinier than any 'wild' turtle that I've ever seen! It looks like he doesn't have a scratch on him! Maybe he hasn't a clue how to look for food. Oh well...hopefully being near water will help; and he can always pull his head and legs in when he feels threatened. And, congrat's on the award. You said you can't even compare to some of the other blogs. But people vote for 'different' things in a blog. Some are interested in facts, directions, educational tips; others are interested in photos, blooms, beauty; everyone votes for what 'they' consider 'the best'. Of course there is 'no best blog'...that's how I feel, too. But I feel you deserve the award and am glad you got it. Obviously, others felt the same way too, or you wouldn't have received it;-)

Noelle Johnson said...

What a wonderful story. My kids wish they would find a turtle. Thank you very much for sharing. I enjoy your blog very much.

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Congratulations on the award Robin! Its much deserved~ Such a handsome turtle! I'm sure he was thankful to find you... I think he knew you'd help. (: Vicki

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Yes, the turtle does look like it was once a pet. Glad you got it to a pond. It may be able to start its life over again. And congrats on your award!!

Frances said...

Hi Robin, what a sweet turtle, the shell is so shiny and he is so large. You were quick thinking with that bucket! Congrats on your award and we do love you and your blog. :-)
Frances

Robin's Nesting Place said...

We have so many ponds around our area, that I didn't even think about it being a pet. That would help explain why it followed me all the way home and hung around the patio door.

We had one very similar to this one come to our front porch last year.

Diana said...

What a great turtle story. For a minute there I thought you were going to say you had a new pet! Glad you were there to shepard him back to the pond. And Congrats on the win. I voted for you and think your blog is wonderful. Have a great weekend.

Rosemary said...

Hi Robin, Love this turtle story......nice that he is back in his happy place , how kind of you.

Kylee Baumle said...

What a beautiful turtle! We see snapping turtles every now and then around here. Some can get very large!

Congratulations on being voted Best Indiana Blog! I'm not surprised in the least. *hugs*

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

That's a fairly sizeable pond slider, Robin. We rescued a baby once from the condo parking lot and eventually released him into the lake when he was big enough to take care of himself. Great story!

Anonymous said...

And the owner of that trained turtle is wondering what happened to it ;)

Congrats again on the award.

Gail said...

That is a handsome turtle...I suspect someone took him home for awhile and they decided to return him to the wild! They are opportunist when it comes to eating and I suspect he'll find his dinners. gail

Gail said...

ps. Congrats on your award...you're very deserving~~both you and your blog are tops! gail