Saturday, May 7, 2011

Diane, My Number One Hero



My number one personal hero is my sister, Diane.



Even though her own home was in shambles from the tornado and she had just tasted death. She did what she always does, try to help others. She truly has a unique heart of compassion.



After the storm passed, she and her husband immediately started rescuing people from the rubble. The tornado had lifted her home and roof and there was significant structural damage but her home was one of the few with a roof and still intact.



The majority of the neighborhood was completely destroyed.



Those who survived were in shock, the smell of gas was in the air and people were afraid. They began walking, many of them barefoot stepping on glass and rubble. Diane's home was the first one up the street that was somewhat safe. She invited people inside to take refuge until help arrived.



There were people who were injured and because of the downed trees and debris in the street it was several hours before first responders could get through.



Someone showed up and offered to take the injured on his four wheeler across a field to help them reach the ambulances.

In all of this chaos, my sister actually made a stranger a sandwich! She pulled bloody socks off of someone and gave them cleaner socks to wear. In her own debris, she tried to find shoes for people to wear.

While I was there, she kept wanting to go and volunteer to help other people. Since she didn't have transportation and there was a waiting list for rental cars, I kept telling her that I would feel better knowing that she had what she needed before I left town. She is selfless that way, always sacrificing for others.

She is my hero. I love her and I am so thankful that God spared her life that day!

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

A hero indeed.God bless Diane.

Pat said...

You have me in tears.
So glad you posted these pictures.
It's a reminder to be thankful for what we have. Your sister must also be a great friend.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Oh my gosh your sister is special. I would have been in a heap not knowing what to do. The devestation is incredible. V

Kay said...

such a great tribute to your wonderful sisiter

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think it runs in the family. Bravo.

Cloudia said...

Bless the heroes!




Saturday evening Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Bless her, Robin. Bless all those who survived and all those who volunteered or donated in some capacity. It was a truly horrible day and she is a hero, your sister.