Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eight Random Things Meme

On November 15, I was invited by Mr. McGregor's Daughter, to participate in the 8 Random Things meme. My mom and dad were here visiting for several days and just left out this morning, so I'm just now getting around to it.

I'm not usually one to participate in a meme about myself, in fact I've been tagged twice before for this same one and chose not to participate. I've enjoyed the anonymity on my garden blog and have been hesitant to relinquish it. I decided, however, that I would do it this time because I enjoy getting to know others better and felt that it was only fair to allow others who might be interested to know a little about me too.

So, here is how the Eight Random Things meme works:
When tagged, you must link to the person who tagged you, then post the rules before your list, and list eight random things about yourself. At the end of the post, you must tag and link to eight other people.

I'm a pretty boring person and have had a difficult time time thinking of eight things about me that anyone would find interesting. I am also not a creative writer but I'll give it a try anyway.

First of all, this is me, Robin, of Robin's Nesting Place.




And here are the 8 very random things about me.

1. I've been a stay-at-home mom for over 20 years. While growing up, I never desired to have a career, I only wanted to be a wife and mom. I'm very thankful that I've been able to live out that dream. I became a wife, right after my 20th birthday, to the love of my life and my "soul mate". The mom part didn't come quite so easily for me because I struggled for years with infertility, had several miscarriages and a full-term baby boy who was stillborn. For about 10 years I was obsessed with having children and my life was an emotional roller coaster.

2. I have been abundantly blessed with two wonderful children, a daughter who is now 20 and a son 15. I have had the privilege and joy of homeschooling for 12 years with only three more to go until my son graduates.





3. I love to read, (all four of us do). We have bookshelves in nearly every room and have a massive collection of books. My collection is all non-fiction and includes a variety of topics: religious, homeschooling/educational, diet and nutrition, health, cooking, home/family, gardening, and photography. When I become interested in a topic I tend to collect and read numerous books on the subject, (if only I could remember what I read).

4. A perfect example for number 3, is my interest in diet and nutrition. I am fascinated with the subject and personally have over one hundred books just on this topic alone. I've probably also checked out that many or more books from the local library. I am a "health nut" wannabe, I just lack the discipline to follow through most of the time. I even own a very expensive juicer and a grain mill, both of which are used sporadically when I am on a health kick.

5. I asked my husband and son for a random fact about me and both said immediately that I am a good cook. I do enjoy cooking and I love to eat, which is another reason why I have a hard time eating healthy. Thankfully, no one in my family is a picky eater so I enjoy cooking a variety of things and trying new recipes.

6. I have always been terrified of heights. My worst nightmares have to do with falling.

7. My husband had a job for 15 years that included a reward trip once a year. I was expected to go on those trips. Did I mention that I am terrified of heights? This especially includes flying. I wish I could say that I overcame my fear of flying during that time, but I didn't. It took every ounce of courage in me to go on the trips. Once there, I enjoyed them immensely and I'm very thankful for those wonderful opportunities that I would have never experienced on my own.

I've traveled to:
The Big Island of Hawaii,
Vienna, Austria
Sydney, Australia
Alaska for an Inside Passage cruise,
Sedona, Arizona, (twice),
Disneyland in Orlando, Florida.
Atlantis in the Bahamas

I'm sad to say that there were a few trips where I couldn't muster up the courage to fly, (of course I made up other excuses too), and my husband had to go without me. Can you believe that I missed seeing London, Rome, Ireland, The Boulders in Scottsdale, Arizona and Montreal, Canada? He did take our daughter on two of the trips. She went with him to Rome and London, which was a great educational experience for her.

8. My husband and I share the same birthday, March 4, 1962. This usually causes a brief moment of confusion for those who are collecting information on us, (banks, insurance and mortgage companies).

I don't really want to tag others for the meme, but I hope others who haven't already, will join in and tell us "8 Random Things" about yourself.

17 comments:

Kylee Baumle said...

Robin, you're GORGEOUS!! Such beautiful eyes, smile, hair... WOW!

I know what you mean about wanting to be a stay-at-home mom. I wanted to be the same and my husband wanted me to be, too, but we really couldn't do it. I did work just three days a week while raising the kids and I was lucky to have my aunt for their day care with no other children in her home.

Good for you for homeschooling. I think I'd be capable of doing that, but not disciplined enough. I'd wake up some days and say, "Ah, forget it today, we'll do it tomorrow" too many times. Remember, I'm the Queen of Procrastination!

I'm glad you decided to share! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us "meet" you with a photo, Robin. And I'm happy to see that you have two lovely children after all that you went through to get them.

Bek said...

You did some pretty extensive travelling even with your fears:) How did you like Vienna? I grew up not too far from there and just love the city.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hi Robin, I just laughed when I read that you don't think you are too creative. You must get that out of your pretty head. You are most creative. So glad you shared this big chunk of yourself.

I agree that it is difficult to think of things about onesself to post. UGH

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Robin - thanks for sharing! I'm glad you did. It's good to know there are other bibliophiles out there. (My husband has tried to impose a moratorium on new book buying as we've run out of bookcase space!) I'm also doing the stay-at-home Mom thing, but mine was just supposed to be until my daughter entered 1st grade. Now I'm worried that 9 years out of the workday routine has harmed my employment chances. It's great that you enjoy what you're doing. For someone who's afraid of flying, you've been to some pretty exotic places.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Kylee, thank you! It's good that you had your aunt to help with your girls. As for homeschooling, thankfully my two are good students and very disciplined. We also usually do school year-round just in case we want to just take a day off to be lazy or enjoy the good weather. As long as we get 180 days in during the year there is no problem.

Pam, you're welcome.

Bek, we loved Vienna! It was our first trip out of the country and it was a wonderful experience. It was our second favorite trip, (Sydney was the favorite). We both said we'd love to live there for about six months. Pictures would never do it justice, it has to be experienced to feel the magic in the atmosphere.

Lisa, thank you. Creative writing is not an enjoyable exercise for me and is very time consuming since it doesn't come naturally.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter, I know what you mean, I've been wondering what I'm going to do with myself now that my kids are nearly grown. Entering the workforce again after 20-23 years is a frightening thought. I'm sure I'll think of something fun to do when that time comes though.

Kathy said...

Hi, Robin--thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing your thoughts about older bloggers. I confess I came by to see if I could figure out how old you were! About the same age as me, I'm guessing.

I am also a homeschooling stay at home Mom.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the health thing. I read about it, think about it, and believe in it, but then I drive by a Taco Bell, and it all goes out the window!(or should I say, comes in the window). Maybe someday. Nice to read and get to know you!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Kathy, thanks for stopping by. I'm 45, not that old in years, but I feel ancient sometimes when I try to keep up with this advancing technology. I can't imagine how the elderly people feel trying to keep up, the ones I know don't even try to.

Carol Michel said...

Robin, It's nice to get to know you better. It sounds like you have a wonderful family, a wonderful life. Don't worry one minute about re-entering the job market someday. There will be a place for you somewhere if you decide to work outside your home when your kids are raised.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hi there Robin, how nice to get to know you and your family a bit better!!! I'm glad you have 2 great kids after all that ordeal.

Besides gardening we have reading in common. I have thousands of books and have read thousands more that I borrowed from the library and friends.

Homeschooling is not allowed in my country, I'm sorry to say!

About you not being creative: are you sure about that? I always think that you are a very creative photographer when I visit your blog and see all the lovely pics you've shot.

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

A picture's worth a thousand words as the old saying goes and the photo of you and your children speak volumes. BTW your daughter looks like a carbon copy of you.

Besides being from Alabama we share some things in common like getting married early, wanting to be just a mom and housewife, books, interest in diet and nutrition, and cooking.

Thanks for letting us get to know you better.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of you, Jamie, and Josh!! I can't believe how much both of them have changed Robin! You are all so beautiful!

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Robin - I am just catching up and glad that I scrolled down to see your eight random things. I feel like I sort of know you now!!!

Thanks so much for sharing. The eight random things is going around again. I just did an illustrated version that's up. I have done this a few times and am swearing off forever!

Thanks so much for this. I enjoyed it tremendously!

--Robin (Bumblebee)

Patricia said...

Beautiful! I have some similar quirks - I don't like memes and I'm fearful of heights. I can't even watch others in high places - like the circus, or standing on the edge of a mountain or building top. I have no idea where that came from.

I've enjoyed "meeting" you in your nesting place, Robin, and I'm sure that I'll visit again.

Kerri said...

Lovely to 'meet' you and learn a little about you and your family. I love the family photos. PTL he blessed you with 2 beautiful children!

Cathy S. said...

I heard that it's your birthday today and wanted to wish you a very
Happy Birthday Robin! (Blotanical
had email me about it, but as usual they are having account issues again)