Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Show Temptations and Purchases

There were a few things for sale at the Indiana Flower and Patio show that tempted me. I liked the colors of this 'Caramel' Heuchera.

I would like to add some artistic elements and decorations to the garden this year. There really wasn't that much to see though. I guess that was the disappointment of the day. The only thing that came remotely close to a temptation was this bust. Several garden bloggers have similar ones and they look pretty in the garden.

I love Pam's, (from Digging) birdhouse and would love to find something similar. This was the only white birdhouse I saw, it didn't have an opening for cleaning and it was too small.

They had Piny Winky Hydrangeas...

lots of Pinky Winky. I'm sure I would have bought one had it been a little later in the season.

I really wanted an iron trellis or obelisk from Gregg's Antiques out of Cincinnati, Ohio. I will probably regret not getting one. There was a beautiful white iron fan trellis that would be gorgeous with pink climbing roses. It was such a long distance to the car and I didn't want to have to carry anything that large.

I was glad to discover that Indianapolis has a place that sales rain barrels. This is another thing on my wish list.

I'd love to attract more bluebirds, and this was a temptation, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy the mealworms. I hope to overcome that squeamishness one day soon.



So, what did I buy? Seeds of course, like I really needed more. I actually spent $32.00 dollars on more seeds.

Here's the new seeds list:

Cardinal Climber
Butterfly Bush
Malva 'sylvestris Brave Heart'
Mallow 'pink Beauty'
Frost Hardy Geraniums
Echinacea 'Pink Parasol'
Rudbeckia 'Maya'
Cosmos, early blooming, 'Antiquity'
Four o'clocks 'Tea Time Rose'
Zinnia 'Persian Carpet' (favors the 'Swizzle' I had last year)

11 comments:

Melanie Chopay said...

Hi Robin, I'll take one of each, except for the meal worms...yuck. I like everything you photographed! I think I would have spent all my money there.

Anonymous said...

we all are tempted with something! Great stuff and I love your photos in your previous post!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I missed the meal worms. I too was tempted by the iron work place.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment on my birdhouse, Robin. The link you so kindly left doesn't lead to a photo of the birdhouse you are probably referring to. Is this it?

If so, it's called a dovecote birdhouse, and I found it at a discount online. Full price will set you back about $300, but bargains can be found. Here's one for sale on eBay.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Hi, Melanie. That's the way I feel about the mealworms too. I do love the bluebirds though.

Thank you, Mon@rch.

Lisa, I saw so many things at the iron place. It was perfect for those who have cottage gardens or like the shabby chic look.

Pam, thank you. I must have clicked on the wrong thing, because I saw a picture of the birdhouse in a June 07 post that I thought I was linking too. I made the correction. Your link is perfect, and shows exactly why I love that birdhouse. Thanks also for the eBay link.

Frances, said...

Those are all tempting but $32 for seeds must have either been a whole lotta seeds or really pricey ones! ;-> We have that 'Caramel' heuchera for one year and it has done well so far. They are very hard to site sometimes, and can be short lived. And yet some are real troopers, you just can't tell what's going to thrive or why.

Frances at Faire Garden

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

It seems like most of those cute birdhouses are meant merely for decoration. How hard would it be for their creators to put in a hinged lid?
If you can't find an iron trellis at a garden center, you could try flea markets. I don't know if there are any around you, though.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Frances, the seeds were pricey, some were $2.99-$3.99. It add up quickly.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter, I'm surprised to find it so difficult to find birdhouses. I guess I'll have to go the eBay route.

Di DeCaire said...

I'd love to get my hands on that nice tall white obelisk!

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I want to go!! I love the guy with the ironworks, he is always there, and always with pretty good prices. Maybe I will try to get down there. Thanks for the tempting pictures!

Anonymous said...

rain barrel kits are available from www.aquabarrel.com