Thursday, August 16, 2007

Butterflies

This butterfly looks like an American painted lady.

Black Swallowtail
Just about every swallowtail that I have seen has had battered wings. I'm not sure why.




I believe this is a silver spotted skipper. I had my window open and I reached out to photograph this one. Most of the time the butterflies flit around from flower to flower so fast they are hard to capture, but this one stayed nice and still for me.
I'm sure if my neighbors saw me with my window open and my camera sticking out the window they would probably think I'm nuts or that I'm spying on kids at the playground, (there was no one at the playground when I was doing this). I am a little self-conscious about doing it, but I'm having fun and that's what matters. This is why I'd love to have a private back yard where I could hang out of the window and take pictures if I wanted to and not have to worry that my neighbors might wonder about my sanity.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photos, as were the hummingbird series. I wouldn't worry what the neighbors think. I get right out there on my belly in the front garden sometimes, all in the service of a good photo.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

My neighbors have decided that I'm a bit odd since I take more pictures of the garden than of the grandkids. But there is something new in the garden almost everyday! lol

Great pictures of both the butterflies and the hummers!

kate smudges said...

You have taken amazing photographs of butterflies. They look incredible perched on these flowers.

I agree - as long as you are having fun, that's all that matters! I figure that, over time, the neighbours get used to us and our odd antics ... picking slugs late at night seems to bring out the neighbours who can't understand why anyone would bother doing this. Oh well ...

I'm glad I visited!

Kylee Baumle said...

You've got some great butterfly pictures here, Robin!

We've got a pretty private back yard and the neighbors probably think I'm nuts, too, so I don't think it matters much. Just ask one of them about the time he came over to ask something and I was lying on the ground trying to get a picture of the Jack-in-the-Pulpit as it was emerging. LOL.