Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No Longer Number One



Two years ago, during winter, I discovered garden blogs. I was fascinated to read about the personal gardening activities of so many people and the pictures were a feast for my winter weary eyes. It was better than any gardening magazine I had ever seen. I was soon hooked. It was in April, 2007 that I reluctantly decided to start my own blog. I'm so glad I did because it has been such a delightful experience.

Blogging became even more fun when Stuart, from Gardening Tips 'n' Ideas created a wonderful gardening website called Blotanical. It has been a wonderful way to connect with gardeners from all over the world. I was amazed as Robin's Nesting Place rose in the ranks and eventually became the number one "Most Favourited Garden Blog". I was so honored by this, but at the same time I was actually a little bit embarrassed and felt a sense of pressure that took away some of the joy of blogging. I didn't feel that I deserved to have this rank because there were so many other blogs far more deserving than Robin's Nesting Place, and other garden bloggers far more interesting and knowledgeable than me. In the last few days two of those deserving bloggers have passed me in the ranks: Jodi from Bloomingwriter and Frances from Faire Garden. They are obviously neck and neck because they keep changing positions. Congratulations to you both! I'm very glad to see you both at the top!

I want to take this opportunity to thank each of you who have added Robin's Nesting Place as a favorite on Blotanical and to those who follow me on Blogger. I appreciate it more than you could ever know.

14 comments:

Tessa said...

Robin, I have enjoyed your blog so much, you have no idea! I continually read your stories and am in awe of your photographs! It is no surprise to me that you rose to #1 that fast! I look forward to seeing your garden in full bloom this year- and thanks for sharing your delightful photos with us all- I have been truly inspired and blessed by them.

Tessa

Gardeness said...

Your lovely photos and wonderful writing keep me coming back. It's no wonder you sped to the top. I suspect you'll always be among the leaders! Thanks for sharing all that you enjoy in your garden.

Gail said...

Dear Robin, All three of you are deserving of the top spots! What you have in common: great style, clear voices and wonderful story telling. I love your photos, your posts and your graciousness... Gail

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin, you are still number one in my opinion. You have described exactly the way I feel about this whole thing. Honored and happy, but also embarrassed by the attention and quilty about not being worthy when there are so many excellent blogs out there. Jodi was number one the last time I looked, so it must change from day to day. I do want to thank Stuart for Blotanical though, at least a third, if not more of my readers come from Blotanical to my site.
Frances

Anonymous said...

Robin, I'm with Gail on this. All three of you have such great garden blogs it's a joy to see (and read) them. I'm always delighted to see what's going on in your gardens and backyards. And I don't understand the guilt factor. This isn't about whose blog is best, it's about the blogs readers enjoy most. Rather than thinking "I'm not worthy," I think you, Frances and Jodi should all be thinking "What I'm creating here has brought joy and pleasure to my fellow gardeners." Surely THAT is worthy!!! Kudos to you all!

Anonymous said...

Robin, I'm with Gail on this. All three of you have such great garden blogs it's a joy to see (and read) them. I'm always delighted to see what's going on in your gardens and backyards. And I don't understand the guilt factor. This isn't about whose blog is best, it's about the blogs readers enjoy most. Rather than thinking "I'm not worthy," I think you, Frances and Jodi should all be thinking "What I'm creating here has brought joy and pleasure to my fellow gardeners." Surely THAT is worthy!!! Kudos to you all!

troutbirder said...

Being #1 is great. And I'm certain it take lots and lots of work. I've enjoyed my first time visit here and especially noting how gracefully you took your fall from the top position!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Your blog was one of the first ones I found on blotanical when I first started. I've greatly enjoyed reading your blog, and I hadn't even noticed that the numbers had been changing. Your photography is amazing!

tina said...

I had no idea the spots changed either had I not read this. The ranking thing is a bit of pressure for sure, but you are surely a top blog forever!

Katarina said...

Number 1, 2 or 3 - does it really matter? You are all great - and different. And that's the beauty of the blogging society, I think - it would be terribly boring if all bloggers wrote about the same things. Your blog is great!
Katarina

Diana said...

Robin - You have an amazing blog and I love reading it -- no matter what number. Best wishes for a wonderful birthday! I hope it's a sunny day for you.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hi Robin, I just love your blog. Don't worry about rankings. You have a great blog and should be proud of it.

Did I read that you have a birthday coming up? Happy day anyway.

Anonymous said...

How gracious...but that doesn't surprise me about you at all. You are one of the sweetest bloggers I have had the pleasure of meeting...and that will never change!

Kim

Barbara said...

That was such an interesting post...I never gave much thought to the pressure there might have been to remain at the top. Hopefully now that the pressure has been lifted you can take a deep breath and continue blogging for the pure enjoyment of documenting your experience.