Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DIY Potting Bench From Rummage Sale Junk

Friday and Saturday one of our local churches had a rummage sale. My neighbor and I were having our own garage sale but we closed up shop on Friday because we had heard that this was a really good sale. Indeed it was!



This ugly, warped table was only a few dollars, (I think I paid $2.00). The top was in terrible condition but the base was solid wood and very sturdy. I have a thing for old tables, so I bought it.



This table is very unusual, I've never seen anything like it before. There is glass firmly attached to the wood as though they are one piece. At first I thought it was acrylic but I hit it with the hammer to make sure and it really is glass. For the glass and the wood to be so warped it must have been either outside or in storage for a long time.



I'm also a sucker for book shelves. This one was rickety and whoever made it was a bad shot with the hammer. Several nails had gone up through the wood and caused it to splinter. I bought it for $1.00 thinking I could use it for closet storage. I thought, if nothing else, I could put my shoes on it or possibly just use the wood for something. I wasn't passing up solid wood for $1.00.



































On Sunday night my husband and I were walking our dog when I noticed that one of the neighbors had placed a twin bed headboard, footboard, and wood frame with the slats attached. I told my husband that we needed to get the slats from the garbage. He thought I was nuts! It's one thing to pick up trash in a strange neighborhood and quite another where people know you. I spared him the embarrassment and we waited until dark. Thankfully they were still there.

I was brainstorming trying to figure out what to do with all of this newly acquired junk in my garage. I have always wanted a potting bench and since the stuff I had was so cheap and not in the best shape I though it would be a good time to make one.

The slats were the perfect size for the table and didn't have to be cut!

My original plan was to just add the slats to the table and be done, but then I thought the bookshelf would be perfect for additional storage.





Here she is all finished and decorated! Isn't she adorable? I had some white exterior paint but I didn't want it to be white. I started adding several different colors to get a color that I liked. Depending on the light, it looks kind of sage green, gray, or a pretty blue.



















































I turned the bookcase upside down because it added more stability to attach the flat end to the table. I also need the lip at the top so the space could be used and things wouldn't fall off.











































Here is the back. The only real cost was the $11.00 sheet of plywood that we had to buy. It just didn't look right without a back on the shelf and the plywood gave it additional stability.











































I added the corner decorative pieces so it wouldn't look as much like an upside down bookcase. I had them stored in a container my craft room. I bought them a few years ago on clearance for .62 each.




Almost every item on the potting table was purchased at garage sales or Goodwill. I love thritfy treasures!



I already had this little window box primed, but I didn't know what I was going to with it. It was a garage sale purchase from last year. I thought it would be a perfect addition to my potting table.



I am having difficulty with Blogger on this post. I hope the text is in the right place.



I wish you all a lovely and productive day! Thanks for stopping by!

Linking to:

The Shabby Nest


Furniture Feature Fridays












http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/06/pottery-barn-bedford-office-addition.html?utm_source=feedburner


http://southernhospitalityblog.com/thrifty-finds-this-week-2/

http://www.thenester.com/2011/06/best-yard-sale-finds-ever.html

42 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Robin, you have a unique talent to create beauty from a pile of junk. This is so pretty I would hate to use it for a potting bench.

Darla said...

Get out of here! This is adorable Robin.

Linda said...

You did an awesome job turning broken down items into a gorgeous piece of furniture. Love the displays you put on it also.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Wow, Robin, that's beautiful! I love every detail!

Patricia said...

Robin, that is beautiful! Just beautiful!! All of it - your restoration and your photos. You are so talented.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You created a thing of beauty out of discarded stuff.This is too pretty to use.Thanks for sharing this.

Etcetorize said...

Wow, you have such vision! I don't think I ever would've thought to put everything together in one project but it looks absolutely amazing. I'm very inspired~

deb mills said...

well, aren't you the clever one. this is fabulous. (good to see you back in blogging action,)

Pamela Gordon said...

I just love your potting bench! I got an old table yesterday from a friend's mother who is moving. It's her original kitchen table with a melamine top on it. I also have an old book case, much like yours, that my uncle made me. Now I know what I'm going to do with them both! Thanks for the inspiration! Your bench is just sweet! Pamela (via Aiken House & Gardens)

NCmountainwoman said...

I am so impressed. It is lovely.

Kay's flowers said...

I love the potting bench! How very imaginative. I LOVE garage sale finds. That was a great way to use all your treasures. Have a great weekend.

Dave said...

Nice work! Great job re-purposing. I'll bet the neighbors who you borrowed the slats from would be impressed by the new potting bench.

Rosemary said...

What a fabulous "potting bench" you ended up with.. too nice for real potting.... way to go for seeing beauty in the mix of pieces and best of all the price was right..

Designed by Chance said...

This is truly brilliant! I love the story too, how great that all those pieces came together. I love it!

Ericka said...

I just love what you have done with this piece! Wow! I have a shelf just waiting to be made into something like this...way to go!

eleven-o-one said...

I'm a sucker for potting benches! This looks like it was all MEANT to go together. Such vision. And your photos are beautiful. Good job.

In Balance said...

I LOOOOOVE your creativity and muttling of some things together on this! This is truly one of the best furniture blog posts I've ever seen!!!!

Laurie said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE IT! Thanks for so much for sharing this!

Tammy said...

You're kidding?! This looks fantastic! What a great idea for the table top and it was genius putting the bookcase upside down! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime.

Lona said...

Wow! What a sweet idea and just look how beautiful it looks. Girl you did a great job!

Lucydesignsart.com said...

wow, wow, WOW! So cool and great vision! Don't church sales always have the best stuff AND prices!?

Toni said...

You made THAT out of that junk? I am super impressed!!!! It's too pretty to be used as a potting bench!

Katie said...

This is great! I love how the two pieces look like they were made for each other! The color you chose is great and I love all the little additions you made!

Donna said...

Wow, oh wow! Your potting bench is just gorgeous! The fact that you made it from cast offs makes it even more impressive! I love the shade of blue that you used, and all of your accessories are just perfect! Oh, and your photos are amazing!!!!

beachcomber said...

very creative!! great use of the bed slats and shelves. love the colour. well done. stopping by from metamorphosis monday.
cheryl x

Cindy said...

i think this is brilliant. i have the table, i just need to find the bookcase to replicate your design...

hugs, cindy

Reenie said...

Very cute.....I wouldn't want to get it dirty tho.

Reenie said...

Very cute.

Rhonda said...

WOW....I don't even know what to say!!! Great job!! I love it!!! By the way, you take great pics!!!I
I hope you will drop by my blog to see my great thrift store find this past week!!
I am your newest follower!!! :-)

~~~rhonda~~~
Follow me on Twitter: Twittle__Dee

Janet said...

Wow! It looks absolutely amazing!
Blessings,
Janet

Kirsty Girl said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! You talented thing!

Anonymous said...

Your potting bench turned out so lovely!!! Wow, I linked this to my gardening post too today - it's a must-see!

Sonshine In My Soul said...

I found your blog on Before/After & wanted to tell u how much I love your painted potter's table. The color is lovely as well as the decor u chose to enhance it even more. :) Jenny

Shabby Marilyn said...

Saw your potting bench on DIY showoff, you really did a great job and I love all your treasures and the way you displayed them.
I will be back to check on your bird postings, great pictures!

CeCe said...

Visiting from BA and I must say.. Adorable creation. I really like the use of all of your elements to make this treasure. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

looks super cute! I love the color. this post would be a fabulous addition to my blog party. I would love it if you stopped by and joined in!!
alchemyfineliving.com

Cher' Shots said...

Beautiful pictures. I'd hate to use that potting bench for fear of getting it dirty. It's gorgeous.
'hugs from afar'

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Beautiful, Robin! Love your creation. Can't tell where you used those slats, did they go on top of the table?? What a great idea on all this. I'm featuring it this week!

Linda Miller said...

I love this bench! I featured it in today's post on potting benches. Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda

Linda Miller said...

I love this bench! Thanks for posting it. I featured it in my own post on potting benches. Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda
http://www.thosecraftysisters.com/2012/04/fwd-10-potting-benches.html

Unknown said...

I love it! I love repurposing old furniture, but your project is amazing! Thanks for the inspiration...I need some kitchen shelving in an empty area of the room, and it's almost large item trash pick up day! Time to head out with the van!

Beth said...

I know I wouldn't let a speck of dirt get on that! It's way too pretty to be used for potting up plants. And you have it decorated up so smartly too!