Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hummingbird Wreath



This past winter I made wreaths for the birds and to brighten up an otherwise dull winter landscape. It worked beautifully and the birds kept me entertained through our long and harsh winter.



A few days ago I decided to make a summer wreath to decorate an otherwise ugly and faded hummingbird feeder.



The hummingbirds found it rather quickly and seemed to prefer it over the larger feeder that was hanging nearby.



My goal this summer is to master shutter speed and capture some decent hummingbird pictures that freeze the wings of these speedy little guys.



Here is a shot of a bird through the wreath. I think it is a female catbird since she was with the male all evening, but I'm not 100% certain.



I eased around the tree and quickly snapped better picture before she flew away. Does anyone know if this is indeed the female gray catbird?



Here is the gray catbird in the bird bath. We've had a pair of catbirds here for the last three summers. They are noisy but I love hearing them!



This robin is nesting in one of my trees. One of the four eggs had hatched as of yesterday when I checked. It has been sweet watching the male robin search for worms and take them to the female as she is sitting on her nest.

I have been busy working on a rain garden for one of the common areas of my neighborhood. I'll have to get some pictures of the project. Right now we are just digging up the "soil" that is either mud or like cement. It has turned into a much bigger project than I had imagined. Hopefully it will be worth it when we are finished.

I hope everyone has a great week!

14 comments:

Cloudia said...

Birds are doctors of our souls!


Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Ruth Hiebert said...

I like the idea of the Hummingbird Wreath.Unfortunately,I think that bird is an immature Brown-headed Cowbird,which was probably raised by the Catbirds.

Sue Catmint said...

I think some birds are attracted by the colour red, or maybe your hummingbirds have a highly developed aesthetic sense.(lol) Anyway the wreath is lovely and your photos inspirational. I look forward to seeing you get so fast a shutter speed to freeze their wings. I like the blur though - it is very expressive.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your hummers probably feel more protected going to the new little feeder. Nice photos. I agree with Ruth. It is an immature cowbird. Odd because Catbirds are known to throw out cowbird eggs. Too bad they missed one.

Darla said...

I remember your winter wreaths and I like your summer one too!

Anonymous said...

The wreath seems like an excellent idea, not only attracting with the red but also providing a little cover for the hummingbirds as they dine.

Unfortunately, I think I agree with Ruth that you might have a cowbird. The cowbird moms tend to drop off their eggs in other nests to be incubated by other birds. A 1918 National Geographic I have refers to cowbirds as the "slackers" of bird world!

Rosemary said...

Love all the bird photos , how close you have gotten. Love the wreath idea ...

Lona said...

What a wonderful idea Robin.I remember your winter wreaths and this one is beautiful too. I have one of those little feeder that I have sticking in a container. The hummingbirds so seem to love them. Wonderful shots of the birds.

Jayne said...

Your bird photos are stunning! I love the wreaths you have made. I'm going to have to do something like that, what a lovely idea!

A Garden of Threads said...

The hummies feel more at home in the flowers of the wreath, I would. Get shots!!

PolkaDotGaloshes said...

I love birdie posts! These are some beautiful captures, my best friend LOVES hummers and I'm thinking a humming bird wreath may be a perfect gift for her, thanks for the inspiration...I love it!! Also, I'm new to following your blog, it really is beautiful. Cheers Julia

Connie Etter said...

Love your blog! I so wish you could of come down to my backyard today. So much going on! (take a look at some of my pics from today) You are welcome anytime! Bring your wreath with you? (smile)

Anonymous said...

Am in love with your blog. Can't stop looking at your pics. :)

The wreath looks beautiful, and the hummingbird and robin are so adorable. I doubt we have them in our part of the world.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I enjoyed seeing your birds. I'm not familiar with cow or cat birds.

I wonder if it's too late to put out a hummingbird feeder in Nebraska. I'll have to call our local bird supply store. I have some plants they like, but always forget to put a feeder out.

I like your wreaths. Your photos are lovely, too.