Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mockingbird Tales and a Little Coffee Humor

I have enjoyed photographing the birds today, especially the mockingbird! It was freezing and we had a few flurries so the feeders were at full capacity!

I thought this caption was fitting for this picture! I made it for my daughter because she is so not a morning person and this has been a running joke in our family for several years! I think I'll make an 8x10 of it for her to hang over her coffee maker!

It has been so cold the last few days and as soon as I fill the birdbath it freezes. I kept seeing the birds land on it trying to get a drink and I felt bad so I finally pulled out the heated birdbath. I got this one for $2.00 at a garage sale a few years ago. I have tried using it in the past and the birds wouldn't drink from it.

As soon as I put it out, the mockingbird landed and was drinking. None of the other birds were brave enough to venture in for a drink. I need to find something sturdy to hold it so that I can place it further out in the yard. Hopefully the other birds would use it then.

The mockingbird is new to my yard and he has quickly become a favorite to watch! He also chases away the starlings so he occasionally gets special treats of mealworms! I want him to stick around!


15 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great pictures and I like the coffee humour.

Patricia said...

Love it!!! And I'm thanking God for bringing you this mockingbird, Robin. XOX

Unknown said...

How adorable this mockingbird is!!! You took great shots. The caption on the caffeine need is hilarious.

Christys Cottage Wildlife Garden said...

Great pictures of your Mockingbird! We have had so many born here in our garden and I tell myself the ones I see now are those babies grown up! One of my best garden memories of last year was sitting under my Oak tree on a hot day drinking ice tea. Just when I thought "it doesn't get any better than this" a Mockingbird landed in the tree above me and started singing. I was wonderful!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Great photos. I love the one where he is obviously telling someone to stay out of his territory. We have one that protects a holly tree in my neighbors garden. He also tries to keep our pyracantha to himself but the birds don't listen to him about that.

Jayne said...

What a perfect caption for that photo! LOL. Wonderful photos Robin. My hubby just bought me a new camera to replace one that died, so I'm hoping I can get some good bird photos now.

Unknown said...

Great shots!

Thanks for sharing!
God bless....Brooke

http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/
My home and garden site...

http://brookekroeger.blogspot.com/
My Vintage Art and Printables site...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Robin, My birds love my 'heated' birdbath--especially this time of year... But--they do prefer the bigger one in the yard--which is put away now...

Cute little mockingbird. Wish one would visit me.
Hugs,
Betsy

Cyndi said...

As always, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your pics!!! Had to pin 'em! :)

RobinL said...

Very charming! It would almost fit me, I drink tea, not coffee, and am NOT a morning person!

Carolyn ♥ said...

Looks like he's made himself right at home! He's got his own cup and saucer,

20 North Ora said...

Beautiful photos. Love the captioned one.

Judy

debsgarden said...

How cute! And I love the caption. We have a lot of mockingbirds around here. I admire their feistiness.

Cindy said...

You have such great photos!! Love the Mockingbird.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Of all of the birds I have in my yard, the Mockingbirds never ever come to the feeders... I'm not sure that we even have any --but we should since they are supposedly in our area.... It's a puzzlement.

Great photos..
Hugs,
Betsy