Saturday, May 5, 2007

Salsbery Brothers Garden Center

I made a brief stop today at Salsbery Brothers Garden center and what a treat it was; I wish I'd had more time to browse. I have been to several local nurseries before, but frankly, I just haven't been that impressed. We purchased almost four thousand dollars worth of trees from one and we readily admit it was a waste of money. The trees were not very healthy and we're still not sure after three years if they are going to live. Several of them have died, including two Colorado Blue Spruces, one of which was the replacement for the first that died. I am also a budget gardener. I need so much in the way of landscaping, that I have to be very careful. So I usually shop at box stores for my flowers and shrubs, only going to local nurseries for trees and special perennials. But this place could make me a "nursery snob" too, (I wish I could remember whose blog I read that used this term).
This place was lovely and there was a difference in the quality of plants, in fact, there was no comparison. I was asked several times if I needed help, and the people who asked were smiling and eager to be of assistance. I wanted to take more pictures but my camera didn't work. It wasn't until I got into the car to leave that I noticed my battery door hadn't snapped closed. I closed it and took these four shots from the car on the way out.

This is at the entrance.

This house must be where the offices are located. I'm very glad that I discovered this lovely place. I didn't buy anything today, but I will definitely be going back soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely nursery. I'd like to have a peek through that one myself. Nurseries like that, with a helpful staff, do make the box stores pale in comparison, don't they?

Carol Michel said...

I've heard of this one, but have not been there. Too far for me, especially during the prime planting season. Maybe I'll go there later in the summer. I have to watch that I don't spend half the day driving... and instead buy closer to home!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

What a lovely nursery that is and how nice that the people who work there are actually keen to help you.

Philosophical Karen said...

Looks like a great place.

Anonymous said...

Where exactly is this nursery? I am a bit closer than Carol, and wouldn't mind the trip sometime this summer.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Vonlafin, it is well worth the drive. I was very impressed. If you know where the new Clay Terrace Mall is, it is just right down the street from that on the right side of the road off of 146th street.

Anonymous said...

What city, Carmel? I think I know Clay Terrace mall, if I am thinking of the right place, it sounds like a road trip!
Is your tree peony in full sun? Mine blooms every year, and I just bought a yellow one to plant, but they do like full sun.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Vonlafin, I'm sorry, yes, it is in Carmel.
The tree peony is in full sun. I planted it three or four years ago and it has never bloomed.

Susan said...

I know nothing of peonies (not a plant for Central Texas!) but I do love a great garden store and it looks you've found one.

— Susan from South of the River

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I will put that garden center on my 'to do' list.
I really don't understand why your peony is not blooming. If it is in full sun, it should be blooming. Mine isn't much bigger than yours, so it is not the size. I don't especially baby mine, it gets fertilized maybe once, and that's it. Oh well, maybe next year. :-(