Saturday, June 9, 2007

Balloon Flower

I love this interesting plant, I had one already and planted a second one a few days ago. It is called the Balloon Flower or Platycodon. Balloon flower is a perfect name for this unusual flower that resembles and inflated balloon. I took the above picture on Thursday and the ones below on Friday; it is the same flower fully opened.
I've never used them as cut flowers but they are supposed to do well and be long lasting in bouquets. They have a milky sap, so the ends must be singed first. I'll have to try that sometime.

2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Hi, Robin. I love balloon flowers, but don't have any right now. You asked about my sister's crape myrtle that she has here in Zone 5. I think she bought it in Virginia, but I don't know the variety. It does not get as big as it would in the south, but it stays alive.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Thank you for the info, Carol. I may have to transport one from Alabama but I'm just going to have to try it now.