Monday, September 13, 2010

Diet Update


This picture was taken October 2009. I am usually the one behind the camera and rarely ever see myself in a picture so this was a rude awakening for me. I had allowed the pounds to creep on. Working part time in a plus size women's clothing store didn't help matters either.

At 192 pounds, I hardly recognized myself anymore, with a round face, double chin, large belly and what I called my bubble butt. I hated it! It was painful to garden and I had difficulty even putting on my shoes. Not only that, I was beginning to have serious health issues. I had become a diabetic and I was having dangerously high blood pressure. My hips, legs and feet hurt all of the time. I felt terrible.

I am a stress eater, and there had been significant, never ending, stress for about four years. I put on 20 pounds in 2009 after my dad's bout with lung cancer, my mother-in-law's nursing home injury and surgery, her significant weight loss and end stage Alzheimer's. My husband also lost his job. I needed a lot of comfort food! I love to eat and I am a sugar/carb addict. The more I eat, the more I crave.

The worst part was the guilt. I have over 100 diet and nutrition books in my personal library and have read many more from the library. I am a health nut wannabe. I was not being true to myself and I felt so incredibly guilty for eating all of the processed junk food. Something had to change.

On January 1, I started a healthy diet plan. Eating only fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean cuts of meat. No sugar, no coffee and nothing processed. After the first three or four days I no longer had cravings and I started to actually enjoy what I was eating. The weight came off...without exercise. I have lost 35 pounds! Really, I lost a total of 38 but those last few pounds keep fluctuating.

I used the timer on the camera and took a few pictures to record my progress.

The sad part about losing weight is that I can no longer wear my favorite denim jackets and the clothing budget is rather small right now.



These jeans were actually too tight for me and I couldn't wear them when I started my diet. (I had already packed away the larger size.)


I am down four sizes! I know that I still have some weight to lose and it will come off more slowly now, but that is OK. I'm happy! At 48 years old, I never thought I'd see a size 12 again!

The best part is not even the weight loss, but the health benefits. I no longer have high blood pressure and I can control my diabetes with diet so I have not had to get on medications. After seeing my mom suffer for years with diabetes and eventually die from surgery complications due to the disease, I am motivated more than ever to stick with this healthy eating plan.

My next goal is to start exercising consistently. I don't think I'll lose much more weight until I do that. Really, my husband doesn't want me to lose any more weight. I'm 5'7" and I weighed 110 pounds when we got married and he honestly likes the size I am. So my goal now is just to be healthy and more physically fit. If I lose more weight in the process, hopefully he won't mind too much.

I know weight is a very personal and sensitive issue, I hope that I haven't offended anyone by sharing about my weight loss. I wanted to share just in case there are those who might need encouragement to change their diet and get healthier!

40 comments:

Rosemary said...

Robin;
Way to go. You look great.
Sugar and carbs my downfall too. Hard to stay away from bread........

Unknown said...

well done, I need to eat less and exercise more too, high blood pressure so you have urged me on a bit.

Patricia said...

Robin, you are beautiful! But I've always thought so. Congratulations on your tremendous accomplishments. Bravo! XOX

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Congratulations on not so much sticking to a "diet program" but changing your lifestyle to something that makes you happier and healthier. You look marvelous and no doubt feel great!

Unknown said...

Robin,

You look fantastic!! I have been meaning to tell you when I see you at church but it seems like we don't get to talk much at church. A lot going on there. Congratulations!!

Ginny said...

Congratulations, Robin! You look fantastic. I think you'll find that the exercise makes you feel even better.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem and am working on it. You look beautiful at any weight but I know you probably feel much better. I hope to be able to post a picture like yours in the next six months or so. It is time to stop making excuses for the extra lbs.

Catherine said...

Good for you Robin ~ you look fantastic! You truly are an inspiration.

Have a Happy Monday!
xo Catherine

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WONDERFUL! I hope you can continue on this path.The best part really is the health benifits.I am short and somewhat over weight,but in reasonable health.
Blessings,Ruth

Darla said...

You are just beautiful Robin. Way to go!! Just get to the weight where you feel the best, that's my advice...

Diana Studer said...

You look good. More to the point, you look happy. ;>)

Lythrum said...

Congratulations!! It is an amazing accomplishment. :) I had the same oh crap moment looking at pictures of myself at a wedding this year. I have had problems moving and keeping up with my two year old and knew something had to be done. Probably one of my strongest motivators was that I was embarrassed of getting my picture taken because of how fat I was, and thought of all of the pictures of me and my daughter that were missing because I was too ashamed. Hopefully one of these days I'll be posting some after pictures too. :)

A Garden of Threads said...

Robin, You look fabulous and so happy. You did not offend, it was very encouraging to see your progress. Have a wonderful week.

Debbie said...

Terrific job, Robin! Each person needs to decide for themselves what feels right and is healthy. I think you were lovely before, but I totally understand you wanting to be healthier.

Garden Lily said...

Robin - Congratulations! It is wonderful that you are focussing on the health aspect, rather than the vanity of looking slimmer. I am also a stress eater, and need to regain my resolve to get back to a healthy weight and lifestyle. I'm currently struggling.

Sherri said...

Robin it is so good to see a picture of you!! Like you said you are always behind the camera. I think your weight loss progress is awesome-you look fabulous!!! Good job! I need to follow you!

Melody said...

Wow - you look fantastic! You have inspired me to try to lose weight. I too am 5'7" and weigh 190 - never thought I would see the time I weighed that much! But I am going to miss my sugar rush - lol. I am so proud of you :)

NCmountainwoman said...

Very good post! I'm so glad you decided to eat healthy rather than try a "diet." And while you look fabulous, the important thing is that you are so much healthier. Way to go!

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Congratulations. You look wonderful. So different than your before photo. Some say it is hard to loose weight. I say it is harder to keep it off. Every day is a series of choices. Exercise will keep you toned and give you energy.

ruthinian said...

you look great. i am trying to lose weight too and i am having a hard time. you inspired me so i am going to take the challenge again. thanks

Mel said...

Robin, you look wonderful--a direct result of how you feel, I'm sure. It's amazing the difference 10 or 20 pounds can make--bending is easier, getting up and down from floor is easier, up and down stairs is easier... I am the same way (pre-diabetic, controlling with diet) and my condition has changed the way my whole family eats. We just entertained an unexpected guest tonight, and I made a diabetic-friendly meal which was consumed with gusto and delight. Healthier choices, portion control... and good old motion. They can change everything. Keep up the great changes!

Mel said...

Oops--forget to mention, needing smaller clothes necessitates a trip to a favorite second-hand shop! I always celebrate weight loss with one of those. Someone else's cast-off becomes my "find." Enjoy!

Hilary said...

Oh congratulations. You look fantastic and more importantly, you feel good. Way to go!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Wonderful! I so admire your determination and accomplishment! :)

Anonymous said...

You look wonderful! I agree that it is great that you decided to eat healthy rather than diet. Diets never work long term.

m.e. said...

Robin, you are a beautiful woman inside and out! I am so happy for you in getting a major chunk of your extra weight off and congratulate you on your size 12!!!!! You look fabulous, Friend!! Blessings!

Connie said...

You look beautiful. God Bless you, and may you enjoy your life to the fullest!
John 10:10

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

And, you look younger! (I bet you feel that way too.) :-)

Georgianna said...

Very inspiring post, Robin. Congratulations – it's an accomplishment to be proud of and you have approached it so sensibly. I think anyone would be happy to read your story, if they are sensitive about weight, it's probably because they need to lose as well. It's also a very responsible thing for you to post about. My brother has diabetes and it's heartbreaking to see the side effects of the medications he takes. With it becoming such a prevalent disease, it's encouraging to know that you are controlling it through diet alone. And lastly, thank you for following my blog! – g

Anonymous said...

Congrats! My mom recently was diagnosed with diabets and like you she changed her diet and lifestyle. Amazing to see how just changing what and how much you eat can control diabetes. Good luck with your continued health journey.

Gail said...

Dear Robin, Fantastic news~I've always thought you looked wonderful and it's good to see you looking happy and wonderful~gail

Cat said...

Fantastic Robin! You look so happy and peaceful. Your post made me smile and was encouraging to boot. Great job!!

Unknown said...

Hi Robin!
I was thinking of you today, so I thought I'd take a look at your blog. It's been a while since I've caught up with you. I just want you to know that I think you look amazing!!! I'm so proud of you! :)
Tracy

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Wow, you are certainly an inspiration. You look fabulous. I really need to do the same. Thanks for sharing your success!

Naturegirl said...

Congratulations Robin! You look marvellous! Quite the achievement!
I have also been eating healthy and riding my bike to a nice comfortable weight! I've shed lbs. and all my clothes fit perfectly! Nice to bend over and tie my shoes and NOT feel the tire around my belly!
I have now started lifting free weights to build up mucsle.
Love the sparkle in your eyes!hugs to you Anna xo

Cindy said...

You look amazing, good for you. It is one thing to have all the information available to you (books on the shelf) and actually doing something about it. You did and this is inspiring for me, thank you so much for your post

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

WOW! You really do look wonderful! I have talked a little about losing weight on my blog...and I've gotten some sweet comments! I've lost 16 pounds and have 6 more to reach my goal...so I'm really happy about that! And you're right...the health benefits are worth it ALL! I have SO much energy now and I am exercising regularly now. The exercise will help you tone up and that makes such a difference! KUDOS to you! I wish we lived close to support each other! Hugs! ♥

Melissa Miller said...

Wonderful news and Congrats to you Robin! You look gorgeous!

I think sharing your story is very important. Weight loss and exercise equals healthier living every time. I also shared my 48 pound weight loss story on my blog this past year. I believe you were reading my updates. If not they are on my sidebar if you are interested.

Have a good week. ~Melissa :)

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

Wow... you look great!

Leena Lloyd said...

Your weight loss is inspiring..thank you.. I desperately need to lose some considerable weight n would love any tips you would share in this regard...