Saturday, September 17, 2011

Last Days of Summer

The nip of autumn is in the air and a visit to a local apple orchard has already been made.

The flowers are few and far between with the limited amounts of summer rain.

I'm still seeing a few bees...


and damsel flies...

and everyday I watch for the hummingbirds at the feeders knowing any day now could be their last visit for the year.

The butterflies have been scarce this summer. Only recently have I spotted a few. Usually I see black swallowtail caterpillars on the parsley and fennel but not this year. I guess there can be no caterpillars if there aren't any butterflies. I think this is the first year that I haven't had them.

I was thrilled to see the Buckeye butterfly a few days ago and chased it around the yard with my camera for quite some time.

I am enjoying the cooler last few days of summer and looking forward to the lovely autumn season...

even if it means that I won't be seeing these little guys for a long time.

I hope you are enjoying the last few days of summer too!

12 comments:

Jenni said...

Your photography is amazing! I love the last one of the hummingbird especially. They are such sweet little birds!

I hope you are having a great weekend!

Blessings,
Jenni

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

Great captures! I am loving the cooler temperatures in my garden. I can actually get outside and garden without melting!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You have captured fall beauty at it's best. Cooler days are very welcome here.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Robin,
Your photography is just amazing. Wonderful pictures.

Carol

HolleyGarden said...

What beautiful macro shots! Amazing!

Patricia said...

Stunning photos, Robin. LOVE that damsel fly. They are so hard to photograph. Think of you often, sweet friend.

A Garden of Threads said...

Fabulous shots Robin. My hummingbirds have left for another holiday in the sunny south:)

Sheila said...

Nice to see you post again! I always love your photography. I too have missed the butterflies this year...thought maybe it was just me. I saw very few!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the bee with all of the pollen, WOW!

F Cameron said...

wonderful photos! The hummingbirds are fantastic!

Lona said...

What gorgeous pictures Robin. I love the bee and pollen shots. Beautiful!

Cyndi said...

Robin, these are aMAZing! A feast for the eyes!