Sunday, July 1, 2007

Squash Casserole Recipe

I cooked my farmer's market produce today. We had roasted corn on the cob, fresh green beans with new potatoes and onions, sliced tomatoes, grilled chicken and the squash casserole I mentioned in yesterdays post. It was all very yummy!
Now, about that squash casserole...
Several years ago, after having some minor surgery, my friend, Mae, helped provide a meal for my family. She brought a delicious squash casserole and was kind enough to share her recipe with me. It's not particularly healthy, but if your looking for a way to get kids to eat squash, this cheesy dish should do the trick.

Squash Casserole

3 to 4 large yellow summer squash, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
Boil the squash and onion together in a small amount of water until soft. Drain and mash.

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 egg
1 sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers
shredded mild cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Mix ingredients with squash. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle additional cheese on top. Bake at 350 until done, (when cheese is lightly browned on top).

Edited to say:
If you don't have picky eaters who would turn their noses up at squash, you can saute the onions and squash in a little olive oil or butter and leave them unmashed. You can also lighten the recipe some by just adding 1 can of cream of mushroom and chicken soup, rather than the two seperate cans listed in the recipe.

6 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

It sounds delish, I put on at least a pound just by reading the recipe. :-D

GRLucas said...

Thanks, I'm going to try this. I doesn't sound as fattening as other recipes I've found.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

g. r. lucas, you can decrease the fat content some in this recipe also. The last time I made it I only used 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and it was just as tasty without the extra can of cream of chicken soup.

GRLucas said...

I made the recipe with a couple of changes: I used low-fat Ritz crackers and 2% sharp cheddar. I also used two cans of low-sodium cream of mushroom (I left out the Chicken, since we're vegetarians). Also, I just sliced the squash in fairly big chunks (.5 inches approximately) and steamed them until they were just soft; I just used the chunks without mashing.

Came out great. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Love this recipe. My fiance raved about his mom's squash casserole and it's identical to this one.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. I use stuffing mix in mine instead of Ritz. Instead of 2 cans of soup, I use 1 can of cream of mushroom and some lowfat (is there really such a thing??) of sour cream mixed into the soup.