Sunday, July 8, 2007

Update on destructive moth post: (For some reason I can't use the title feature.)

On June 25th, I posted about my Dwarf Alberta Blue Spruce which had been infested with moths and cotton like masses, I was very concerned that the tree was dying. Here is the picture from June 25th.

I picked all of the eggs sacks off and have been using a strong jet spray from the water hose almost every evening to run the moths away, (and there have been quite a few of them flying out of the trees). I am seeing new growth on the tree now, and the brown needles are being knocked off by the spray. It's looking so much better and I think it is going to make it. Here is a picture of the tree today.Again, no chemicals were used at all, just picking the eggs sacks and bag worms off by hand and using the jet spray feature on the water hose. I think a lot of times people reach for chemicals when other things can be just as effective and certainly much safer for us and for the environment. I wanted to say thanks again to Lynne Eldridge M.D. Author, "Avoiding Cancer One Day At A Time" http://www.avoidcancernow.com/ for taking the time to respond to my June 25th post and remind me of the dangers of using chemicals around my home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! I would now suggest that you follow up with a fertilizer for acid loving plants. That should help the evergreen regain it's health and be better able to ward off any further attacks.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Thank you, vonlafin, that is a very good idea.