Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Crazy for Seeds

I have major spring fever and I've gone just a little bit seed crazy, I guess that's better than going stir crazy from being cooped up inside. Most of the seeds I'll direct sow, some I'll winter sow, others I'll grow using my indoor growing system, and some I plan to sow at the nursing home where my mother-in-law resides. The vast majority of seeds were purchased, but a few were collected from plants I already had.

Here is my list of seeds so far: (I'll probably get a few more in March at the Indianapolis Patio and Garden Show, which is where I purchased the two seed packets shown in the above picture.)

3 African Daisy
1 Annual Ornamental Grass Mix
2 Aster
Balloon Flower (collected)
1 Bee Balm Monarda Panorama
1 Blanketflower Gaillardia Aristata
1 Butterfly Weed Asclepias tuberosa
1 Cardinal Climber Vine
1 Coleus
1 Columbine Dragonfly Hybrid Mix
1 Cobaea Mountain Glory Blue
1 Cosmos Bright Lights mix
1 Cosmos Seashells Mix
7 Cosmos Sensation Mix
1 Cosmos Sensation Radiance
2 Cosmos Summer Dreams
3 Daisy Garden Mix
1 Delphinium Elatum- Blue Bird
2 Delphinium Pacific Giants
2 English Daisy
1 Feathertop Grass Pennisetum Villosum
1 Fountain Grass Perennial Pennisetum
1 Four O'Clocks Mixed
1 Foxglove Excelsior Mixed
1 Gaillardia
1 Gaillardia Sundance Bicolor
3 Gazania
1 Hare's Tail Grass Lagurus Ovatus
1 Hollyhock Alcea Rosea- Chater's Double Maroon
1 Hollyhock Alcea Rosea Indian Spring Mixed Colors
3 Impatiens Dwarf Pink Baby
1 Ipomopsis Hummingbird Mix
1 Lantana (collected)
1 Larkspur Giant Imperial
1 Marigold Disco Yellow
1 Milkweed Rose Asclepias Incarnata
1 Painted Daisy Pyrethum
2 Pansy, Swiss Giants, Mixed
1 Parsley Dark Moss Curled
1 Parsley Plain
2 Purple Wave Petunia
1 Rudbeskia Irish Eyes
2 Salvia Bonfire
1 Scabiosa caucasica
1 Scarlet Sage (collected)
1 Sunflower Autumn Beauty Mix
1 Tithonia Sundance
2 Viola Helen Mount
1 Zinnia Cut and Come Again Mix
1 Zinnia Green Envy
2 Zinnia Exquisite
2 Zinnia Fruit Smoothie
1 Zinnia Highlight
1 Zinnia Lilliput
1 Zinnia Purple Prince
2 Zinnia Rose Pinwheel
1 Zinnia Swizzle (collected)
1 Zinnia, Violet Queen

As you can see, I love zinnias. I can't possibly have too many of those wonderful butterfly magnets.

12 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

That's quite a long list and yes, you have many different kinds of zinnias. That will perhaps explain why I couldn't find any zinnia seeds when I went looking for them last Saturday; you had bought them all. ;-)

Frances, said...

You have an amazing number of seeds. Are they all from this or last year? I love zinnias also and save seed from the best colors to grow each year.
Thank you for the solution to the spacing problem on my blog. Your instructions were clear and easy for a non techie like me to understand. I have fixed the bromeliad post and will go back to fix the others as time permits. I will forever be in your debt.

Frances at Faire Garden

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Yolanda Elizabet, I'm sorry I was so greedy and didn't leave any zinnias for you. :0

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Frances, some of the seeds were from 2007 that I bought on sale at the end of the season.

I'm so glad I was able to help, Frances.

Carol Michel said...

That's a long list of seeds. I've ordered my first batch, mostly vegetables, and am waiting for them to be shipped. I need to get busy ordering/buying my flower seeds (that is if there are any left in town).

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

live4evermom said...

That is a wonderful picture. I'm always on the lookout for butterflies and that is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've got some sowing to do! That's a lot of seeds! How do you have room for them all?

Annie in Austin said...

Vonlfin asked the question that was also in my mind, Robin - where will you put them? I think you have more sunny planting spaces than those of us who garden with large old trees overhead.

Irish Eyes rudbeckia and Sea Shells cosmos were favorites in my IL garden - I hope you have fun with all those seeds!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Carol, I haven't been on your end of town, so there should still be plenty for you. It's just those on this end who are out of luck.

Nice to have you visit here at Robin's Nesting Place, live4evermom. I have lots of pictures of butterflies on my blog. You should be able to find all of the post on butterflies in the category Butterflies under Labels on the sidebar.

Vonlafin and Annie, I'm not sure where I'll put them all. I am try to fill all of the flower beds, and I have lots of sun in the back yard.

Plus, the nursing home has a very large courtyard that is always neglected. I weeded it in the fall and would love to fill it full of flowers for the residents to look at when they eat.

Mary said...

I had only five or six zinnias last summer that attracted more butterflies than I'd ever seen.

Your list is long! I need to starting thinking seriously now. Spring is around the corner.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Hi, Mary. You definitely need more zinnias. The butterflies do love them.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Maine and discovered Englsh daisies. They are beautiful in my rock garden. How do I save seeds for next year?